Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Host Family, Camp and all of the sort.

On Monday when I got home from school, I received some very exciting news..

I'm going to Emmetsburg, Iowa!
[Refer to the lovely picture bellow]

Emmetsburg has a population of around 4,000 people and is located around the southern bay of Five Island Lake. The school I'm going to be attending is Emmetsburg High School and it has a role of about 240. It's a little cute town, by what I've seen on Google Maps.

The host family I have been given is my "arrival" family. This means that I'll be there when I arrive and could be changing to another family if things don't work out, but they sound lovely!

My mother, Linda is a qualified Nurse who is working as a part time Pastor, and my Dad, David, is a pastor for the church next door. As I mentioned in the previous post I have been put on a double placement with a girl named Veronika, and she's really nice too!
She's also 16 and is as excited as me to be going on an exchange.

But wait, there's more!

I've been accepted to the EF culture camp, a camp at the beginning of my exchange with other EF students going to America. This means my departure date will be the 22nd of July. The Culture Camp is held at Bryant University on Rhode Island for ten days. During the camp we attend "classes" in the morning, these include English, History, Current Issues and Life in America. In the afternoons we have the opportunity to try out new sports, music, arts and craft or visit the mall. We also get to visit Boston for some shopping on the 23rd and Newport Beach on the 27th.

I'm getting nervous about leaving my friends and family in New Zealand,but I'm very excited about my trip. Everything seems to be happening fast now!

That's all for now; keep it real.



1 comment:

Debbie Lamb said...

Yes,it's finally becoming a reality.. scary but very exciting honey. I hope your posting improves while you're away ;)