Tuesday, July 27, 2010

United Skates of America and other adventures at Culture Camp

Some New Zealand Exchange Students at the Airport
Since you had last heard from me I was landing in Providence, RI, and boy has the time since then gone fast!

I've been here 5 full days already, and I'm having an amazing time at Culture Camp. Camp is mostly for international students who don't speak English as a first language, but for us it's still a great time to learn about the culture and make some friends. It's run like school and goes as follows;

On weekdays the day goes like this; breakfast runs from 7am to 9am, classes run from 9am to 4pm with a two hour lunch break between 12pm and 2pm and then optional activities are offered with dinner running between 5pm and 7pm with curfew at 11pm.

Many activities are available at designated slots, scheduled between 4pm and 10pm. They range from small cooking classes to swimming, basketball, movies, football, baseball, line dancing and many more, there are even computer labs open for those without laptops. 
Alanna, Myself and Grace (Center) in Boston

On the weekend though it was different. On Friday and Saturday nights we had a midnight curfew and Saturday and Sunday mornings we were allowed a sleep in, with brunch running between 10am and 12am, and classes starting at 12am running until 6pm with a half an hour break and dinner beginning immediately after class.

So far we've had two excursions out of three, we've been to Boston for a day and to United Skates of America.
So on Friday the 23rd we went to Boston City, it was about an hours drive from camp in Smithfield but we were in coaches so it was comfy. Boston was AMAZING. I have seriously missed shopping. We were given the whole day to roam the streets with at least three others and had to meet back at 7pm, the rules stopped there. 


Alanna, Amy, Grace and I (All New Zealand exchange students) went shopping. We actually only went down two streets, and one was an alleyway with a mall in it. We caught the underground subway to the second street and apart from being scary, really really hot and noisy on the trip there, we found some good shops.


I didn't buy much because I don't want to pay extra for luggage to Iowa, but I did get a dress for $7, a pair of Paul Frank headphones, a Big Bang Theory t-shirt and a Transformers hat. We also experienced American Starbucks, which is extremely fast! They could teach the New Zealanders a thing or two. Grace has a happy meal, and it seriously comes in a box like on the ads, it was exciting, so I took her box and the smile makes me smile when I see it in my room.


Then tonight we went to United Skates of America which was also really fun. We went roller skating, with the four wheels, which after getting used to were really easy to use. There was also a place to go Rock Climbing and play Laser Tag. I played Laser Tag and came 3rd out of 18, but didn't go Rock Climbing unfortunately. It's really different from New Zealand 'Laser Force', the two teams have designated sides to stay on and you're not allowed to run, but it was fun anyway, especially sneaking onto the oppositions side.

Roller Skating at United Skates of America
Tomorrow we're going on our last excursion to Newport, RI. Again, we can do whatever we want with our time and I think that I'm going to join some Australians in exploring the shops because there's a Wal-Mart about 2 miles from where we're being dropped off, and Wal-Mart seems exciting.

That's all for now,
I'll try to update more often after camp, we're just crazy busy at the moment and I have to cram writing in at night.
Keep being Awesome (:

View More Photos of My Adventure So Far Here

No comments: