Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 7 in Iowa

Almost the view from our house
After arriving on Saturday last week, I have been in Iowa for seven days now, and I love it!


On Saturday evening, Linda (my host Mom) picked me up from Mason City Airport which is about one and a half hours drive from our house in Emmetsburg.


At 8:30pm, David (my host Dad) picked up Veronika (my exchange sister) from another airport, about 270 miles from Mason City. So by the time they got home I had unpacked and fallen asleep. 


On Sunday, after David and Linda had come home from church and Veronika and I had slept in, we went for a tour of the neighborhood. It's larger than I thought it would be, with 3000 residents and many nice sights and shops. No clothing shops though, as Linda had said.
Emmetsburg, the middle of town.


From our house you can walk down a path (kind of Alleyway) and you're at the Lake. (Refer to photo 'Almost the view from our house') We're also pretty much directly behind the Movie Theatre on Main Street, so a lot of things are within walking distance.


On Wednesday afternoon, Linda took Veronika and I into Fort Dodge to do some shopping before meeting another exchange student at the airport. We went into Target where I bought a black Mossimo Cardigan for under $20 (the exact price I can't remember). We went into a Mall but I didn't find anything in there, except a travel clock. 


After visiting the mall we went to an Italian place for dinner which was very yummy, but hugggeeee servings, I didn't expect anything less though. Then we went to Wal-Mart which was a lot larger than than the Wal-Mart in Newport. I managed to excite Veronika with the idea that there might be a Nirvana t-shirt cause I saw one at the Newport Wal-Mart but after a dash to the Mens clothing we were only but disappointed.



Yesterday, Veronika and I decided to walk to the library cause even though it's across town, 2 miles isn't that long, right? Not if you don't have footpaths over half the way. 


After getting instructions off Linda and David we were all set, once we turned off 8th Street we realised why they warned us there might not be footpaths on the side of the street we want to walk on. It was pretty terrible. Not only was there only ever a footpath on one side of the street, but it'd randomly stop in between houses. Sometimes there was no footpath at all. We quickly began to regret our decision. 


Eventually we reached the library, and it was as quiet as anything, there had to be two other people in there except us. I wanted to get out a book to start learning some more German, but nothing. Then I thought about learning some more Piano, cause there's a piano in the lounge. But nothing. So after a while I gave up and got out a book on Woodstock and a novel. Nothing too exciting.
Veronika outside my our school


On the way back we decided to take what we thought was a shortcut, while going past our school at the same time. After passing the school we couldn't believe that we saw 8th street, it was so much closer than the way we came. But after one block it stopped. Luckily we found our way back home through wandering in right direction. 


In the past seven days, I have been no-where near as busy as I was on ONE day at camp, but it's nice to relax. I don't start school until the 25th of August which means I still have a lot more time to relax and settle in, although I'm pretty well settled in now. I still have to decide my school subjects, get registered for school and buy an american cellphone / number. But more about that in the next post.


David, Linda and Gizmo, one of the cats at home
On an unrelated note, I am so lucky to be a New Zealander, just for the fact that our money is so much nicer than American money. I don't want my one cent change if I buy something for 99 cents! Seriously, who thought it'd be cool to have a one cent coin cause I dislike them greatly.


That's all for now, maybe one day I'll learn to post more often so it means I have to write less. 'Till then, sorry about the enormous posts. 

No comments: