Monday, August 2, 2010

Flights to Iowa

Countless travelators and in airport train systems... What a day.


"The Cheeseburger Gang" (Minus Amy) nearly leaving EF Culture Camp


The past ten days have gone so fast and I had such an amazing time at camp. But of course, all good things come to an end and this morning all of us students left camp. First to go was Amy, who’s off to Minnesota for six months, who left at 1am on the very first bus with Cille, my amazing Dutch room-mate who’s going to Nevada for a year. Then we said goodbye to the Sarahs at 2am, Sarah Tilley who’s off to Idaho for 6 months and Sarah Palmer who’s off to Minnesota. Then there was just the five of us left, all departing from camp at the same time but on two buses going to two different airports. At 3am Grace who’s off to Oklahoma, Kim who’s off to Preston and Alanna who’s going to Iowa, hopped on the bus to Boston airport and Ashleigh and I go on the bus to Providence airport.

After a small nap in the bus to Providence Airport we were at the airport checking into our separate flights, and who did we see but Sarah Palmer who was leaving the airport around 6am like Ashleigh. We checked in and my luggage was an amazing 47 pounds (only because I have two super heavy carry on bags, but the airport doesn’t weigh those). Then we had to wait, oh the joy. Everyone was so tired and by the time Starbucks had finally opened I had already had a Red Bull in hope of staying awake until my 9:10am flight. That didn’t happen.


Sarah and Ashleigh around 5am at Providence airport.



I saw Ashleigh and Sarah off their separate ways and we wished each other the best of luck. No less than half an hour later I was asleep next to other EF students sitting at one of the tables in the food court until it was time to say goodbye to another small group at 7.30am. There was only three of us remaining after that; a German boy, Sarah a Swiss girl who I was talking to for a while and myself. When 8.45am finally rolled around I couldn’t be more relieved to board my plane, so I said goodbye to the other two and went my own way.



First I flew from Providence to Detroit which took two hours. Then from Detroit to Minnesota which was another two hour flight, luckily I met an Austrian girl from Norwich camp called Camilla who I talked to for a while. Now I’ll be waiting three hours to fly for an hour to Mason City in Iowa with Veronika who should be arriving soon. I really hope she doesn’t get lost, I didn’t even think to ask what flight she’d be on.

Update: Veronika's first flight was cancelled so I didn't end up meeting her 'till this morning cause she got into Emmetsburg around midnight!

That’s all the excitement of my sleep deprived travels for today; luckily I won’t have to do it again until I leave for Germany.

I hope wherever you are you’re having an amazing day (:

1 comment:

Debbie Lamb said...

You are certainly a seasoned traveller now hun. At least your feet will be firmly planted on the ground for the next few months so that'll be good. You deserve a well earned rest after this marathon day/night! Talk again soon :) xxx